Famous Austrian composer Franz Schubert worked as a music teacher in the Želiezovce manor. Park in Želiezovce was also one of the inspirations for his music.
According to him, the oaks, which can still be found near the mansion (so-called Schubert's oaks), are named.
The manor house was built in 1780´s. In the garden were small trees planted, a glass house, two bridges and various species of flowers and trees were planted. A pavilion, biilt in Empire style and called Soví hrad (owl´s castle), belonged to them.
Franz Schubert lived in the manor house in 1818 – 1824 as the music master of Mary and Carolina – daughters of Károly Esterházy. In 1803 Franz Sacher, famous with his chocolate torte, lived in the Esterházy chateau. There was born his son Edward Sacher became famous for his range of five-star hotels and coffee houses.
In documents from 1839, the English park is mentioned. In 1945 the manor house and its area were confiscated. In 1969, the manor house was declared a cultural monument. A hospital and amphitheatre were built in the south area of the park, that was not declared a cultural monument. In 1970, an exposition of the composer Franz Schubert was established at the empire pavilion. In 2000 more extensive renovation of the empire pavilion and its surroundings began.
Želiezovský park was established as a nature-landscape park on a slightly undulating terrain with a slope to the Vrbovec stream.The originally extensive park with an area of 13 hectares has been preserved on the area of 7.20 hectares at the present. Central meadow is dominated by the park.The park is fenced by modern metal fencing with a wall with three entrance gates. The small garden architecture in the park consisted of three statues and two stone vases, which were located near the mansion.They are currently being reconstructed and deposited.Today we can find a monument to F. Schubert in the park.
In the environment of the park Želiezovce there is a specialized facility for seniors.
The Franz Schubert memorial room in the Soviets' Castle, where Franz Schubert used to live in 1818 and 1824 during the summer months, is situated in a classicist building by the city park. Exposition using documents and period furniture and inventory records the work of this composer in Želiezovce.
Mestský úrad Želiezovce: t.č.:+421 36 771 11 22
Park is open nonstop.